Monday, October 5, 2009

Twitter vs. FaceBook

You know that blue bird, the one that "tweets" and
you see on nearly every blog, every "web 2.0"
site out there?

Have you heard how Twitter played a role in the
President Obama election?

Do you watch Family Guy? You've probably caught
references to Twitter at least twice in the show.

"Twitter" hit the mainstream hard.

About 2 - 2.5 years ago, I sang its praises (and,
in fact, talk about it in the traffic course I
give away for fr*ee at RobTheGenieToth.com).

There's just an INSANE amount of ebooks, articles,
videos, techniques, training courses, reports,
loop-holes, scripts and services related to Twitter.

So it must be hot, right??

Yes and no.

In my opinion, it's a virtual water cooler. Meaning
it's a place to hang out, throw pointless stories
around (in 140 chars), toss around ideas, be seen,
kill time.

For most people the attraction is being able
to "belong" (ie: being one of the Tweeple) and, even
more so, it's about being heard.

Even if none of your Followers are really paying
attention and none of them care, every tweet you
put out makes you feel like there's someone out
there listening to you.

In fact, often it's the digital equivalent of
talking to yourself. Except online, you don't look
quite as crazy. In fact... you're part of the
hip "tweeple" crowd.

AND THAT is the underlying draw of Twitter.


==================
TWITTER - A JOKE
==================

Problem is...

Twitter is kinda like a virtual water cooler.

I already said that, right?

Okay... now, when was the last time you built a
really strong relationship around a water cooler?
Better yet, when was the last time you were being
productive around a water cooler??

Add on the fact that Twitter is being abused HARD
with so many automation  scripts and spam tools...

Here's my verdict...

(1) Yes, it makes sense to have a Twitter account
seeing as any Followers you build on there become
a new audience or "list" allowing you to tap
into that for buzz promotions, market research,
affiliate recruitement and sales. And you may
even get your name talked about a little more.

(2) It makes sense to have a Twitter account
because you can automatically add tweets to your
account (for example, all Aweber users can
easily "broadcast" their email as a Tweet). So
why not distribute your message further, for
the same effort!

(3) It makes NO REAL SENSE to actually invest
time on Twitter manually! Your time ROI simply
isn't worth it.


==================
FACEBOOK - A MUST
==================

Facebook, on the other hand, is still a marvel.

The coolest thing to come to the internet since
search engines.

And by "cool" I mean in how well it can be used
as a virtual-you: for personal *OR* for BUSINESS use.

Here's a great line from "He's Just Not That Into
You" (my sister and a girl friend told me to
watch the movie because apparently I'm eerily
similar to Justin Long's character ... don't know
about that, but a good movie either way).

Here's what one of the girls in the movie says:

"Things have changed. People don't just meet
organically anymore. If I want to make myself more
attractive to the opposite shex, I don't go get
a new haircut - I update my profile."

There's a LOT of truth to that.

Things HAVE changed.

If you're not in the Facebook world yet, it's
getting to the point where you're operating as
a Bata-Max or a VHS vs. a DVD or Blue-Ray Disc.
Point is... make the upgrade and join us in
today's civilization!!


I could write an entire report on strategic
and productive and profitable ways to use Facebook
(I know because I gave a friend from my social
circle several "tricks" of how to quickly grow his
own social circle ... and the results of my tips
put a serious smile on his face!)

I'll be blunt:

Twitter, is a fad. Join it. Create an account.
Get yourself some followers. Use it as a new medium
to reach your audience. Tap into the TOO MUCH
automation tools if you'd like. Don't invest too
much time on there.

Facebook, is a must. Like email and a telephone
line.

Don't know how to setup a Facebook profile or the
basics of what/where/how/why to use it all?
Find yourself an 8-year-old. I'm not even kidding!

Or... next best thing, google "how to setup facebook
profile" or "how to use facebook" and you'll find
lots of step by step videos

==> TIP !!

Do not intermingle your social world with your
business world.

Your best buddy Jim, doesn't care about the latest
ebook on internet marketing that you want to promote
as an affiliate or your talk of the marketers
you met at the recent marketing conference.

Your prospects, clients and business peers don't
care how many beers you polished off at the football
game this past weekend.

That's not to say you can't cross some personal
updates with business... but you'll find your life
A LOT simpler and your account a LOT more profitable
if you use 2 accounts.

I have a "Rob Toth" account that I keep as my
social circle and a "Rob 'The Genie' Toth" account
that I keep as friends from the business/online
world, prospects, associates etc.

I *REALLY* advise you to do the same. I could devote
a couple of pages as to the other reasons of why,
but I won't touch on that here.

With that said... go create or update your Facebook profile.

** p.s. If you'd like to add me as a Facebook
friend, here's a direct link http://www.Rob-Toth.com .
I'm still on Twitter as well @robtoth .

** p.p.s. Want to be more than just virtual "Friends"?

Want to invite me in to help make sense of your
upcoming launch and build it with you?
 
Want me to help you pull cash from the various digital assets
you have "rotting" on your hard-drive?
 
Wanna have me coordinate and help wrap up
and release any of your MANY unfinished projects
that are sitting on the back-burner?

Here's how you can do that right now or secure
the hours with me and put me to work in the future:

http://www.RobToth.com



With appreciation,

Rob Toth
RobTheGenieToth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment